Apologies to those receiving this note more than once.

This is an announcement of the first release of the Impala (IMplicitly
PArallel LAnguages) application suite.  Impala is a collection of Id/pH
applications, gathered from a variety of sources.

The Impala home page is at:

        http://www.csg.lcs.mit.edu/impala/

I have included text from the home page below to describe Impala.

Impala is a work in progress.  We hope to integrate more large applications
into Impala soon.

I'd like to thank everyone who contributed programs to the Impala suite,
especially current and former members of CSG, and members of the Pebbles
group at Colorado State University.

-Andy Shaw

PS: Local CSG users should derive their own versions of applications from:

        /home/pH/ph-code/impala/

Impala - (IMplicitly PArallel LAnguage Application Suite)

Impala is an application suite for Implicitly Parallel Languages. We are
still in the process of putting together Impala, and it will be evolving
>from week to week. At this point, all the codes are written in Id, but we
intend to port them to pH by using an Id to pH translator written by R. Paul
Johnson. When possible, we include links to papers which are about the
applications mentioned. These papers cover a wide range of subjects, from
testing language features, to performance evaluation.

Impala FAQ

Current Applications

   * Barnes-Hut -- an implementation of the heirarchical n-body problem.
   * boyer -- theorem proving from the Gabriel Lisp benchmark suite.
   * Eigensolver -- lots of eigensolvers, including Jacobi and
     Dongarra-Sorenson.
   * gamteb -- a Monte-Carlo photon transport code from LANL.
   * knapsack -- the knapsack optimization problem.
   * nas-fft --- lots of 1D and 3D FFT's. From the NAS parallel benchmark
     suite.
   * nas-integer-sort -- lots of different sorts. From the NAS parallel
     benchmark suite.
   * nas-multigrid -- a multigrid algorithm from the NAS parallel benchmark
     suite.
   * paraffins -- enumeration of the unsaturated paraffins (hydrocarbons).
   * pic -- simple electrodynamics particle-in-cell code from LANL.
   * ray-tracer -- ray tracer for spheres.
   * simple -- the Simple hydrodynamics code.
   * simplex -- Linear programming algorithm.
   * speech -- front end speech processing to determine Cepstral
     coefficients.

Applications we're working on (and hope to get working soon ...)

   * Air Traffic Control -- hard to believe, but true.
   * Another ray-tracer -- a ray-tracer which handles cylinders, planes, and
     polygons.
   * DSMC -- a molecular dynamics Monte Carlo simulation.
   * GCM -- the MIT Global Climate Model.
   * Id in Id compiler -- the Id compiler was also written in Id. We would
     like to extract some modules from the compiler to test more symbolic
     computations.
   * MCNP -- the general case of Gamteb, which can handle arbitrary
     geometries, arbitrary substances, and neutrons and photons. The
     original Fortran version was developed at LANL.
   * pseudoknots -- a structural biology problem which was used as a
     comparison of various functional languages.
   * viterbi -- a segment of the speech recognition code from the Spoken
     Language System group here at MIT. The original code was written in C.
   * water -- a molecular dynamics simulation from the SPLASH benchmark
     suite and the Perfect Club benchmark suite.

Download Impala

You can download the Impala application suite here:

   * Impala tar file
   * Impala compressed tar file
   * Impala gzipped tar file
   * Impala FTP directory. -- to look at individual codes

Mail Andy Shaw if you have questions about Impala.