The Glasgow Haskell Compiler
                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                Version 0.06 --- Hackers' release

As many of you know, we have been working hard at Glasgow on a modular
Haskell compiler.  We are proud to announce its first public release.

We are calling it a "Hackers' release" because it is not yet suitable
for Haskell *programmers*.  It is intended for *implementors* who are
interested in using our compiler as a substrate for their own work.
(A later version will indeed be a "Programmers' release".)  We also
hope that some *porters*, people who would like to see Haskell running
on their system, will help us debug any Sun dependencies in our
generated C files.  Finally, the *curious* may simply want to see the
World's Largest Haskell Program (40,000 lines?)!

The compiler has the following characteristics:

    * It is written in Haskell.

    * It generates C as its target code.

    * It is specifically designed to be modular, so that others can
    use it as a "motherboard" into which they can "plug in" their
    latest whizzy strictness analyser, profiler, or whatever.

    * Internally, it uses the polymorphic second-order lambda calculus
    as a way to preserve correct type information in the face of
    substantial program transformations.

    * It implements unboxed values as described in [1].  In
    particular, the implementation of arithmetic and the exploitation
    of strictness analysis is handled just as described there.

    * Its back end is based on the Spineless Tagless G-machine, an
    abstract machine for non-strict functional languages.  There is a
    detailed paper describing this work [2].

    * It plants code to gather quite a lot of simple profiling
    information.

    * Its runtime system is heavily configurable.  For example, it
    comes complete with three different garbage collectors: two-space,
    one-space compacting, and Appel-style generational.  Adding extra
    fields to heap objects (for debugging or profiling for example) is
    just a question of altering C macros; the Haskell source doesn't
    need to be recompiled.  (Caveat: you have to alter them *right*!)

The compiler also suffers its fair share of deficiencies:

    * The compiler itself is large and slow.

    * The code it generates is very, very unoptimised.  Any
    comparisons you make of runtime speed with good existing compilers
    will be deeply unflattering.  (Our next priority is optimisation.)

    * Several language features aren't dealt with.  This has not
    prevented us from compiling and running several quite large
    Haskell programs.

Please follow the pointers in the top-level README file to find all of
the documentation in and about this release. Distribution info
follows below.

We hope you enjoy this system, and we look forward to hearing about
your successes with it!  Please report bugs to
[EMAIL PROTECTED] and direct general queries to
glasgow-haskell-request@<same>.

Simon Peyton Jones
(and his GRASPing colleagues)