The following paper, to be presented at POPL93, is now available by ftp:

                    Tobias Nipkow and Christian Prehofer
                         Type Checking Type Classes

We study the type inference problem for a system with type classes as in the
functional programming language Haskell. Type classes are an extension of
ML-style polymorphism with overloading. We generalize Milner's work on
polymorphism by introducing a separate context constraining the type
variables in a typing judgement. This leads to simple type inference systems
and algorithms which closely resemble those for ML. In particular we present
a new unification algorithm which is an extension of syntactic unification
with constraint solving. The existence of principal types follows from an
analysis of this unification algorithm.

File: lehrstuhl/nipkow/popl93.dvi.Z
Machine: ftp.informatik.tu-muenchen.de / 131.159.0.110