Folks,

We held a meeting about Haskell 98 at ICFP; then I had
quite a bit of subsequent discussion with various groups.

We agreed that

* The name of the language will be Haskell 98.
* I will publish proposed decisions (this message)
* I will publish a draft Report (early Nov)
* I will get feedback about the Report from the Haskell list
* We will complete by Christmas 98

The way we will be sure that the process will converge
is by dictatorship: if a consensus hasn't emerged, then
I am supposed to decide.  (I specifically checked that this
plan is what the ICFP meeting wanted; it is.)

The proposed decisions are at

        http://research.microsoft.com/Users/simonpj/Haskell/haskell98.html

Comments to me directly ([EMAIL PROTECTED]), or the Haskell mailing
list.

Simon Peyton Jones