Bulat Ziganshin wrote:
Hello Brian,

        class Bar a b where
            bar :: a -> b

(*) But there's one exception: you can't use typeclasses to resolve
overloadings between values and functions because non-function
values don't have a type of the form A -> B:

        cool :: Int
        cool :: Char -> String

        class Cool -- Ooops! fundamental problem encountered ;-)

class Cool a where
   cool :: a

instance Cool Int
instance Cool (Char -> String)

?

Yes thanks - someone else pointed this out to me off-list as well.
I think that mental block must have been caused by watching too many episodes of Star Trek yesterday!
Ok I give up, there's just no excuse... ;-)

Brian.

strive mightily unseen to destroy us.

http://www.metamilk.com