On Sep 3, 2006, at 8:22 AM, Brian Hulley wrote:

Tamas K Papp wrote:
On Sun, Sep 03, 2006 at 12:47:45PM +0400, Bulat Ziganshin wrote:
i also suggest you to start write some library. there is enough
useful libs that are still bnot implemented because lack of time (and
insterest in such simple code) on side of more experienced
programmers. i once proposed you to write strings library, another
interesting and useful thing will be gzip/bzip2-lib bindings

Bulat,

I would be happy to write a strings library, I just don't know that it
is supposed to do... (I have no CS education, only math/economics).
If you show me the specifications or documentation in another
language, I would write one as practice.

What about a library for interval arithmetic [1]?

I'll sign up to write this just as soon as I can control the floating- point rounding mode in purely functional code with low overhead. :-)

Without this control, you end up with a toy which can't actually be used for real work. Sadly, I don't think GHC's built-in thread scheduler plays nicely with floating-point mode changes unless you do them across the entire program for the entire run.

The interval multiplication algorithm turns out to be exciting. :-)

-Jan-Willem Maessen