Wait, there are two monads in scene here, IO and Maybe.
The right solution is to compose them indeed. One could use the MaybeT monad transformer defined in the 'All about monads' tutorial [1], or we could just define the IOmaybe monad:

> import Data.Traversable (mapM)
>
> newtype IOMaybe a = IOM { iom :: IO (Maybe a) }
>
> instance Monad IOMaybe where
>     return = IOM . return . Just
>     c >>= f = IOM$ do
>        mb_v <- iom c
>        mapM (iom.f) mb_v >>= return . join

Now we can define:

> t1 = IOM . return . f1
> t2 = IOM . f2
> t3 = IOM . return . f3
> traverse rec1 = t1 rec1 >>= t2 >>= t3

And this scheme lends itself very well to define any kind of traversal.
Note that I used the more general version of mapM defined in Data.Traversable in the definition of the (>>=) combinator. A more conventional definition is given the 'All about monads' tutorial.

Cheers
pepe

1- http://www.nomaware.com/monads/html/index.html