Tim Newsham wrote:
 I have to write:

  > do {
  >    x <- getSomeNum
  >    y <- anotherWayToGetANum
  >    return (x + y)
  > }

even if the computation of x and y are completely independant of
each other.

I too have really missed a "parallel composition" operator to do something like the above. Something like

do {
   { x <- getSomeNum || y <- anotherWayToGetANum}
   return (x+y)
}

Actually, that syntax is rather hideous. What I would _really_ like to write is
do {
   (x,y) <- getSomeNum || anotherWayToGetANum
   return (x+y)
}

I would be happy to tell Haskell explicitly that my computations are independent (like the above), to expose parallelization opportunities. Right now, not only can I NOT do that, I am forced to do the exact opposite, and FORCE sequentiality.

Jacques