Josef Svenningsson wrote:
On 4/24/07, Jacques Carette <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
In Ocaml, you can frequently use polymorphic variants to get the same
effect.

Which means that if you are willing to do enough type-class-hackery, it
should, in principle, be possible to do the same in Haskell.  But it
sure isn't as convenient!

You seem to imply that there is an encoding of polymorphic variants in
Haskell using type classes. While I know that it's possible to achieve
similar effects using type classes I haven't seen a direct encoding.
If there is such an encoding I would be very interested to hear about
it.
As usual, look for a solution from Oleg:
http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/haskell/2006-July/018172.html

There was also a proposal by Koji Kagawa (published at Haskell '06)
http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1159842.1159848&coll=&dl=ACM&type=series&idx=1159842&part=Proceedings&WantType=Proceedings&title=Haskell&CFID=15151515&CFTOKEN=6184618

Jacques