Andrew Coppin wrote:
Lennart Augustsson wrote:
Why do you seem so in awe of Mathematica?

Oh, well, I guess it is only the most powerful maths software ever written... no biggie.
No, it is one of several. In very little time I can find 20 things that Maple does better than Mathematica. In the same amount of time, I can find 20 things that Mathematica does better than Maple. [Actually, the most obvious is that its marketing is miles better; so good that it makes blind evangelists out of people who have not even tried the competitors].

It's just another language with a good set of libraries. Claims that it is the best, fastest, etc comes from Wolfram advertising, no doubt. :)

The claim that it is the fastest clearly doesn't hold (much to my surprise). The claim that it is the most powerful, well... I have yet to see anything that can come close to the symbolic power of Mathematica.
Give Maple a try.  For example, you'll find that:
1) Maple's DE solver beats Mathematica hands-down
2) Mathematica's definite integrator beats Maples hands-down
3) Maple's symbolic non-linear equation solver is best
4) Mathematica's definite summation (ie finding closed forms) is best
and on and on. [I don't know enough about the other systems to make similar comparison lists].

You got suckered by their marketing. Get your head out of the sand, and take a good look around what is available.

Jacques