On Jul 18, 2007, at 1:00 , Dan Weston wrote:

Bjorn Bringert wrote:
import Data.List
maxsubarrays xs = maximumBy (compare `on` sum)
  [zs | ys <- inits xs, zs <- tails ys]

I love this solution: simple, understandable, elegant.

As a nit, I might take out the ys and zs names, which obscure the fact that there is a hidden symmetry in the problem:

maxsubarrays xs = pickBest  (return xs >>= inits >>= tails)
 where pickBest = maximumBy (compare `on` sum)
  -- NOTE: Since pickBest is invariant under permutation of its arg,
  --       the order of inits and tails above may be reversed.

Dan Weston

Nice. Here's a pointless version:

maxsubarrays = maximumBy (compare `on` sum) . (>>= tails) . inits

Though I avoided using the list monad in the first solution, since I thought it would make the code less understandable for a beginner.