>> Simon PJ and I are implementing view patterns, a way of pattern matching
>> against abstract datatypes, in GHC.  Our design is described here:
>>
>> http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/ViewPatterns
>>
>> If you have any comments or suggestions about this design, we'd love to
>> hear them.  You can respond to this list (and we can take it to
>> haskell-cafe if the thread gets long) or, if you prefer, directly to me.

I find the => operator excessive. GHC Haskell seems to be growing too
rapidly syntax wise in my opinion.
The important features of code are correctness, maintainability and
readibility (IMHO), and I think => is working against these.

=> uses up more syntax. Buys very little. Equivalent to "-> Just _ " or "->
Just x " as far as I can see.
I would prefer to type the extra 6 characters rather than having the hidden
Maybe.
It is also one more thing to learn. One more confusing type error when you
mix them up.

Rene.