[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
G'day all.

Quoting David Ritchie MacIver <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

I was playing with some code for compiling regular expressions to
finite state machines and I ran into the following problem. I've solved
it, but I'm not terribly happy with my solution and was wondering if
someone could come up with a better one. :-)

Doing structural induction is quite viable, as you noted.

However, there are advantages to implementing explicit indirection.
The main one is memory usage.  Explicit indirection is much less
leak-prone, and you can easily share structures thanks to hash consing.

At any rate, I'm extremely curious as to how your code compares with
mine, performance-wise:

   http://www.ninebynine.org/Software/HaskellRDF/Dfa/Dfa.lhs

Cheers,
Andrew Bromage

I'd be astonished if yours didn't beat mine hands down. I'm just putting this together as an exercise to help me figure out some of the areas where my Haskell knowledge is extremely weak. It's totally unoptimised.