ok wrote:
So we have

    C++ : imperative language whose type system is a Turing-complete
          functional language (with rather twisted syntax)

    Haskell: functional language whose type system is a Turing-
          complete logic programming language (with rather twisted
          syntax)

They also have twisted semantics.

I've been told that functional dependencies are old hat and there is
now something better.  I suspect that "better" here means "worse".

Lattice duality, Galois connections, functor adjunctions, etc., have taught me that better is always equivalent to worse.