It was I that he quoted, and now I am totally flummoxed:

thm1 :: (a -> a) -> a
thm1 f = let x = f x in x

> thm1 (const 1)
1

I *thought* that the theorem ((a => a) => a) is not derivable (after all, 0^(0^0) = 0^1 = 0), but it appears somehow that thm1 is a proof of its type.

Help, I just unlearned everything I ever thought I new about the C-H correspondence!

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Tim Newsham quotes somebody /I didn't follow this thread!/:
I assume you mean then that it is a valid proof because it halts for *some* argument? Suppose I have:
thm1 :: (a -> a) -> a
thm1 f = let x = f x in x
There is no f for which (thm1 f) halts (for the simple reason that _|_ is the only value in every type), so thm1 is not a valid theorem.