On Nov 2, 2007, at 11:51 , Jonathan Cast wrote:

I will grant that hiding *World / RealWorld# inside IO is cleaner
from a practical standpoint, though.  Just not from a semantic one.

On the contrary.  GHC's IO newtype isn't an implementation of IO in
Haskell at all.  It's an implementation in a language that has a
Haskell-compatible subset, but that also has semantically bad constructs

Differing viewpoints, I guess; from my angle, Clean's "uniqueness constraint" looks like a hack hidden in the compiler.

--
brandon s. allbery [solaris,freebsd,perl,pugs,haskell] [EMAIL PROTECTED]
system administrator [openafs,heimdal,too many hats] [EMAIL PROTECTED]