Thomas Schilling wrote:
On Thu, 2007-11-08 at 18:34 +0000, Andrew Coppin wrote:
Neil Mitchell wrote:
Windows and Haskell is not a well travelled route, but if you stray of
the cuddly installer packages, it gets even worse.
Is that why Cabal packages never ever install on Windows?

Could you be more specific what your problems are?

Not to the point that anybody is likely to be able to help me...

According to the instructions, if I'm understanding this correctly, you're supposed to be able to unpack a package, and do

 runhaskell Setup configure
 runhaskell Setup make
 runhaskell Setup install

However, having so far tried this with not less than 3 different packages downloaded from Hackage, not one single one has ever worked. I suppose it's possible that I just happened to pick 3 packages that all have something wrong with them and normally it would work just fine... but all I've ever seen it do it fail.

I tried to install HaXmL. It seemed to install, yet GHC insisted it wasn't installed.

I can't remember what the second thing was, sorry.

I tried to install the SDL binding; it choked because it can't find "sh". (Which, no, you won't. It's Windows. We don't have anything that advanced yet.) In that case, I believe there are some additional Windows-specific instructions, which I haven't got round to wading through just yet. (Something about fiddling with some of the configuration files manually before starting. I thought that's what Cabal itself was supposed to do, but anyway.)

OK, so I'm being a little over-harsh here. In the 3rd case, there are some extra instructions that are supposed to make it work - and who knows, maybe when I go try them SDL will work perfectly. But so far, 0 out of 3 isn't very impressive. I had assumed that I'm just doing something wrong, or it isn't documented very well or something. But now I'm just wondering if it hasn't been tested on Windows very much...

I realise it's much easier to sit here and criticise than to actually do something about fixing the problem. Clearly Cabal must work for somebody, so I was just wondering if my Cabal problems are because I'm on Windows, that's all.

(For what it's worth, I actually managed to build Gtk2hs from source under Linux - and I've never built anything on Linux before! It was really quite simple though. I mean, took about 2 hours to think about it, but it's a very old laptop...)