Arthur van Leeuwen wrote:
A closely related issue: fromIntegral is in Integral which also requires quotRem. However, the two are semantically quite disjoint. I can *easily* see the semantics of fromIntegral on EpochTime, but not the semantics of quotRem on EpochTime. Having fromIntegral
    would solve the above puzzle... :)

As I understand it, it's widely recognised that Haskell's current numeric class hierachy is broken (or at best, not very well chosen), but nobody came up with a better suggestion yet.

(By all means, somebody correct me if I'm wrong here...!)

Also, that hierachy is in the Haskell Report, so we'll have to wait for Haskell' to fix it for good. (Although you can roll you own right now - if you can think of a better design...)