On Tue, 2007-11-20 at 12:03 -0800, Keith Fahlgren wrote:
> On 11/20/07 7:35 AM, Thomas Schilling wrote:
> > On Tue, 2007-11-20 at 16:00 +0100, Ketil Malde wrote:
> >> Thomas Schilling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> >>
> >> I can all to easily imagine a situation where any documentation is
> >> riddled with a plethora of notes, questions, answers, comments etc,
> >> with nobody to clean up the mess every now and then.  For user-edited
> >> documentation, a wiki seems a much better fit - where each author
> >> make some effort to leave pages as self-contained consistent
> >> documents.
> >
> > Hm.  The GHC user's guide currently is generated from a DocBook
> > (XML-based) language, but when I extended the Cabal documentation (which
> > also is DocBook) I wasn't very impressed by DocBook.  It isn't
> > particularly well-documented
>
> Hi,
>
> [Disclosure: I'm a large part of O'Reilly's re-adoption of DocBook internally
> and a member of the OASIS DocBook SubCommittee for Publishers]
>
> I'm particularly surprised by this last sentence on the lack of documentation,
> as the DocBook standard has a definitive, comprehensive, freely available
> manual
> at http://www.docbook.org/tdg/en/html/docbook.html that I've always found very
> usable. Were there particular things that you missed?

Right.  I should have been more specific.  I certainly like the idea of
Docbook.  But in an open source project documentation is written in
small parts and by many different people.  I personally didn't care to
read a whole book just to be able write a few pages of documentation.
Thus I tried to use it as a reference.  This worked reasonably well, but
could have been a way more comfortable experience.  Some quick-access /
lookup table, would have been nicer.  Maybe also a little more pretty
than gray and standard link blue.  (Even the W3C specs look rather
nice.)

My point is, for a casual editor trying to write or edit DocBook
documents based on this book is rather tedious.  I think my Emacs mode
didn't do as nice completion as it should have (based on DTD and
everything.)

> > and editing raw XML is never fun, even with
> > the right Emacs mode.  One could hope that a standard format would come
> > with many tools, but I didn't get the impression that the tools are
> > great, either.
>
> The state of GUI XML editors has advanced significantly over the last year
> with
> the continued work on both XXE (http://www.xmlmind.com/xmleditor/) and
> oXygen's
> latest release (http://www.oxygenxml.com/docbook_editor.html), for example.
> That
> said, there are not as many tools for editing DocBook XML as HTML, for
> example.

The latter is not available for free (only trial).  The former seems to
be free for non-commercial use.  I haven't tried either (*Java Runtime
rant elided*).  The real problem remains:  Even if you were to install a
special program to (reasonably) edit a DocBook file, we still don't have
the immediacy of a Wiki.

> > Using DocBook, however, has some nice advantages.  For example, the
> > possibility to generate documentation in different formats.  Something
> > more easily accessible (from the internet) would certainly be much more
> > convenient, though.  It would be nice, though, to preserve semantic
> > markup.  Aren't there some usable web-based WYSIWYG editors that edit
> > XML rather than HTML?
>
> Not that I've found. I'd be delighted to hear about possibilities.

There seem to be some.  But I could only find commercial ones.