This is great! Two questions:

1) I want to make sure the function arity matches the list length (as a runtime check). I think I can do this with an arity function using Data.Typeable. I came up with:

arity f = a (typeOf f) where
  a tr | typeRepTyCon tr /= mkTyCon "->" = 0
       | otherwise = 1 + (a . fromJust . funResultTy tr . head
                            . typeRepArgs $ tr)

This looks awful. Is there a better way to get the function arity?

2) Once I have say arity (+) == 2 at runtime, how can I get it reified into Succ (Succ Zero)) at compile time to be able to use it as the first argument in your nary function? Can/should I use Template Haskell for this?

Dan

Victor Nazarov wrote:

{-# OPTIONS -fglasgow-exts #-}
{-# OPTIONS -fallow-undecidable-instances #-}

data Zero
data Succ a

class Nary n x y | n x -> y where
  nary :: n -> x -> [String] -> y

instance Nary Zero x x where
  nary _ x [] = x

instance (Nary n y z, Read x) => Nary (Succ n) (x->y) z where
  nary _ f (x:xs) = nary (undefined::n) (f $ read x) xs