Vimal wrote:
I am working on a product to analyze posts made in Forums, Usenet and
discussion mailing lists like Haskell-Cafe. For this, I require the
messages to be accessible in this format:

<forum> (* example: Haskell-cafe *)
 [  list of -
 <thread>
   [ list of -
     <post>
     </post>
   ]
 </thread>
 ]
</forum>

Research into the "Message-ID:" "In-Reply-To:" "References:" headers. They give complete information. In short, they give a pointer tree, child pointing to parent or ancestors.

(Corollary: A thread is a tree of posts, not a flat list of posts. The most brain-damaging effect of using a web forum is assuming a thread is a flat list of posts.)

Some reply posts lack "In-Reply-To:" "References:" headers because their authors fail to choose compliant software or know the issue. Some non-reply posts (genuinely new topic, not even digression from existing ones) contain "In-Reply-To:" "References:" headers because their authors fail to know the issue and just hit "reply" to write new posts. All these are because the "everyone can haz PC" movement failed to educate everyone. You can cope by looking at "Subject:".