Jules Bean wrote:

Thomas Hartman wrote:

I found

  http://haskell.cs.yale.edu/haskell-report/List.html

had many useful "one off" type list functions such as "subsequences" and "permutations" which are nowhere to be found in hoogle, Data.List, or the haskell hierarchical libs

Weird.

It's not very many. Other that those, I spotted: sums, products, elemIndexBy, elemBy.

I have no idea why they were removed between that version of the report and haskell98.

For the ones you mention:

 - sums, products:

The names don't make it clear what they do, I could for instance imagine sums being 'map sum'. And should it be a 'scanl' or 'scanr'?

 - elemIndexBy, elemBy:

      elemBy f x = any (f x)
      elemIndexBy f xs x = findIndex (f x) xs

On the other hand, I would love to see "subsequences" and "permutations" added to Data.List. In fact, I made a library proposal to make this happen, hopefully they will be added to the standard library soon.

Twan