On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 02:00:53 -0500, Jules Bean <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Brad Larsen wrote:
Hi there list,
How would one go about creating a new type for a subset of the integers, for (contrived) example just the even integers? I was thinking of making a new type
 newtype EvenInt = EvenInt Integer
but the problem with this is that it accepts any integer, even odd ones. So to prevent this, the module does not export the constructor for it---rather, the module exports a function `mkEvenInt' that creates an EvenInt if the given value is acceptable or raises an error otherwise.
  What's the right way to do this?  Thanks!

There are two ways:

(1) Have a representation which admits invalid values, and provide combinators which only perfect validity, and prove that consumers using your combinators can't produce invalid values.

(2) Have a cleverly designed representation such that every representation is valid.

An example here, for (2) would be to store n/2; there is a bijection between 'Integer' and 'EvenInt' given by n/2.

To make sure I understand, an example of (1) would be to export only a ``smart constructor'' that somehow converts invalid values to valid ones (say, add 1 to arguments that are odd)?

In your example of 2, how would you go about storing n/2? Store just n as in (newtype EvenInt = EvenInt Integer) and then write all functions that deal with EvenInts so that they account for the division by two?

In real, more complex problems, (2) often isn't possible and we resort to (1). E.g. the representation of balanced trees (AVL? RedBlack?) admits invalid values (both unbalanced trees and out-of-order trees) and we rely on the reduced set of combinators never to generate one.

Jules

In my particular case, or what I actually want to do, is define a finite segment of the integers (0-42, say) as a new type and have that checked at compile time. Any way of doing this w/o defining Peano numbers or a whole bunch of nullary constructors (i.e. I'm hoping to be able to define a type whose constructor will accept only Integer arguments between 0 and 42)?

Thanks!
Brad