Peter Firefly Brodersen Lund wrote:

Using top together with huge input files convinced me that -sstderr was
untrustworthy so I developed the pause-at-end preloading hack.  Paranoia paid
off big time there.

In what way did you find -sstderr untrustworthy? Perhaps it is because the "memory in use" figure only counts memory that the RTS knows about, and doesn't include malloc()'d memory. If it's anything else, I need to know about it.

 o can the core/stg code be made easier to read?

By all means - submit tickets with specific suggestions, or better still send patches.

Cheers,
        Simon