Tillmann Rendel wrote:
Abhay Parvate wrote:
I think I would like to make another note: when we talk about the complexity
of a function, we are talking about the time taken to completely evaluate
the result. Otherwise any expression in haskell will be O(1), since it just creates a thunk.

I don't like this notion of complexity, since it seems not very suited for the analysis of composite expression in Haskell.

Is this intuitive view generalizable to arbitrary datatypes (instead of lists) and formalized somewhere?

See also the thread section beginning with

  http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.haskell.cafe/34398/focus=34435

Regards,
apfelmus