Hey everyone,

We started working on a client [1] for the sphinx full-text search engine [2], which is a very fast full-text search engine that has either SQL or XML as a backend. While our version is far from done (it only supports the query command, and a limited number of parameters), we still think that it might be useful for other people as well. If you want to help us hacking on it, testing it or improving documentation, you're more than welcome.

The communication with Sphinx is done using a quite low-level binary protocol, but Data.Binary saved the day: it made it very easy for us to parse all the binary things. Especially the use of the Get and Put monads are a big improvement over the manual reading and keeping track of positions, as is done in the PHP/Python clients.

Thanks,
-chris

[1]: http://hackage.haskell.org/cgi-bin/hackage-scripts/package/sphinx
[2]: http://www.sphinxsearch.com/