On Feb 16, 2010, at 9:43 AM, Gregg Reynolds wrote:

I've looked through at least a dozen. For neophytes, the best of the bunch BY FAR is Goldblatt, Topoi: the categorial analysis of logic . Don't be put off by the title. He not only explains the stuff, but he explains the problems that motivated the invention of the stuff. He doesn't cover monads, but he covers all the basics very clearly, so once you've got that down you can move to another author for monads.

He does cover monads, briefly. They're called "triples" in this context, and the chapter on interpretations of the intuitionistic logic depend on functorial/monadic techniques. If I remember correctly, he uses the techniques and abstracts from them.