On 09/12/10 07:01, Tony Morris wrote:
I teach haskell quite a lot. I recommend using .ghci files in projects.
Today I received complaints about the fact that ghci will reject .ghci
if it is group-writeable. I didn't offer an opinion on the matter. I am
wondering if these complaints have legitimate grounds i.e. maybe you
want to have group write on that file for some reason.

I'd appreciate some comments on this issue. Thanks.

You can insert *any* commands in the ghci file. including some system commands, to delete everything. That's probably the reason to deny a file to be group writable (anyone in a group could write bad thing in there)

you can try putting the following in the .ghci to check for example:

<<<
readFile "somefileyouwanttoread" >>= writeFile "/tmp/apublicplace"

--
Vincent