Yeah, I was going to mention Smalltalk too, as one of the languages NOT using
plain text to store programs — which led to a very strong boundary between ST
and other world, not doing any favors to the first.

The idea of using some non-plaintext-based format to store programs appeared
lots of times, without any significant achivements. And I think one of the main
reasons for that is that it makes interacting with other tools extremely
difficult. Not just with pre-existing tools. Even if grep didn't exist, it
would be very easy to hack something like it if you need to search your
codebase for a specific word; you don't need any complex APIs to read plain
text files, there are just two functions — one to read a line of code, and
another one to check for eof. Similarly, it's easy to generate your Java files
with a Perl script — with Perl itself not knowing anything about Java. Text has
the advantage of being SIMPLE — and the vague idea of "embedding a spreadsheet
in your code" (what the hell for?) doesn't come close to beating it.

And you know what? You don't really need to give up text-based storage to have
graphic capabilities. Windows resources files (.rc) are text-based, and there
are plenty of visual editors for them, including one in Visual Studio; and,
thankfully, it still produces the same old text-based file — and sometimes it's
very desirable to look into one, for example, if you want to know which control
is tagged with this ID.

Отправлено с iPad