On 14-Oct-1998, S. Alexander Jacobson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Having only recently learned to use Monads and appreciate their
> utility, I am encountering new category-theoretic material in reading
> about arrows in Jansson and Jeuring's Polytypic Compact Printing and
> Parsing paper.
>
> It strikes me that I should just get the basics under my belt rather than
> skipping ahead hear.  What is a good place to start learning the
> basics of category theory, monads, and algebra (as in algebraic types not
> high school math) for use in a programming context?  Books? Papers?
> Websites?

Try Benjamin Pierce's ``Basic category theory for computer scientists''.

Here's the entry from our library catalogue:

 AUTHOR       Pierce, Benjamin C.
 TITLE        Basic category theory for computer scientists / Benjamin C.
                Pierce.
 PUBLISHED    Cambridge, Mass. : MIT Press, c1991.
 PHYS DESC    xiii, 100 p. ; 23 cm.
 SERIES       Foundations of computing.
 BIBLIOG.     Includes bibliographical references (p. 81-91) and index.
 SUBJECT      Computer science -- Mathematics.
              Categories (Mathematics)
 ISBN         0262660717.

Hope that helps.

BTW... maybe someone can help me with this one... Is there a version of
"read" which returns a Maybe, rather than aborting if the string it is given
is syntactically incorrect? I'm looking for something like:

safe_read :: (Read a) => String -> Maybe a

Does something like this exist?  FWIW, I'm using Hugs 1.4

dgj
--
David Jeffery ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) |  Marge: Did you just call everyone "chicken"?
PhD student,                    |  Homer: Noooo.  I swear on this Bible!