| Pro a change
|       Mark Jones              mildly
|       Olaf Chitil?    mildly [I can't locate his message]
|
| My rule of thumb is that the status quo wins if there's any
| doubt, and there is, so I'll reverse my proposal and leave
| things unchanged.

Actually, I'm neither pro or against a change in this part of
Haskell 98.  (I would suggest a change in this area if we were
talking Haskell 2 --- to something between the two alternatives
considered here --- but that's a discussion for another day.)
So I'm happy with your decision.  And I guess it will encourage
me to look one more time at the Hugs source code to see if I can
think of a way to support these rules.

All the best,
Mark