I think the way to proceed with basAlgPropos is to implement it
outside the language as a library.  (Since it redefines
the basic arithmetic symbols and so on it will be necessary to
tell the user to import Prelude() or qualified and perhaps provide
an alternative version of the Prelude.)  The GHC folks at any
rate seem to be fairly open to allowing people to add their code
to the GHC distribution, so basAlgPropos could be well distributed
in this way.  Then both hackers and snobs can take basAlgPropos
or leave it as they desire.  Should basAlgPropos become very
popular (for example, as part of large symbolic algebra routines)
then it will maybe be time to think of standardising it.  At the
moment I feel it would be better to let it evolve.