On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 2:28 PM, David Cantrell <da...@cantrell.org.uk> wrote:
On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 08:06:28AM +0200, Philip Newton wrote:
Vignette StoryServer?
I had a bit of a go with that... back when the language was Tcl, not Java.
Fun times. Especially counting the backslashes. Do we need four here?
Five? Seven?

No, IIRC it was always a power of two.

I thought I sometimes needed 2^n+1... but memory is hazy.

It was not unheard of to need ungodly numbers of backslashes in various places.

I was told by their support people to "keep adding slashed until it
works", the number of slashes required being a function of how deeply
nested your code was.

Which was what we mostly ended up doing.

Vignette really were a comedy company.  Storyserver was supposed to be a
content management system,

That's how it was sold to us as well.

After we actually installed the thing and kicked the tyres and found
it wasn't really one, they back-pedalled and said that it could be
used to implement a content management system. (Perhaps in the way
that git plumbing can be used to implement a version management system
but isn't one itself... I think.)

because we don't have a compiler in the UK".

That makes me wonder whether UK refers to the Ukraine in this context....

What an extremely odd thing for a company to say.

Cheers,
Philip
--
Philip Newton <philip.new...@gmail.com>