So we had a chance to discuss this internally, and this appears to be the
best solution right now:

wb_command -metric-math "(x > 0.5) * (x < 1.5)"
${Subject}/MNINonLinear/fsaverage_LR32k/${Subject}.${Hemisphere}.BA1_ROI.32
k_fs_LR.func.gii -var x
${Subject}/MNINonLinear/fsaverage_LR32k/${Subject}.${Hemispehre}.BA.32k_fs_
LR.label.gii
wb_command -cifti-roi-average
${Subject}/MNINonLinear/Results/${fMRIName}/${fMRIName}_Atlas.dtseries.nii
${Hemisphere}_BA1_Timeseries.txt -left-roi|-right-roi
${Subject}/MNINonLinear/fsaverage_LR32k/${Subject}.${Hemisphere}.BA1_ROI.32
k_fs_LR.func.gii

The first command selects label key 1 (which is BA1 in those GIFTI label
files, you can check by opening the file in a text editor and looking at
the label table) from the label file and saves it as a binary ROI.  The
second command (run separately for left and right hemispheres) gives you a
timeseries as a text file that is the average timeseries inside the BA1
ROI.

There are a couple of bugs/new features needed this uncovered:

1) The CIFTI files don't have the left and right hemisphere labels
separated (because FreeSurfer calls them the same thing).  We'll fix this
in the next version of the pipelines.  For now, the CIFTI .dlabel.nii
files probably won't be what you want unless you want an average across
both hemispheres.  -cifti-parcellate makes the average timeseries for a
number of CIFTI parcels, but if you wanted that, you'd need to make
.dlabel.nii files with separate left and right hemisphere areas.  This
isn't hard to do, so let me know if this is what you want.
2) We'll make a command for selecting specific labels from a label file
and turning them into ROIs (though the math command is fine for this too).

I didn't understand the comments about native space or volume-based
analysis, so hopefully the above will achieve what you want.

Peace,

Matt.