Averaging together timepoints does not make sense for resting state data,
it does not use stimuli, so there is no temporal correspondence between
runs or across subjects.  You should do the correlation before any
averaging.

I'm not sure what method our pipelines use, so I'll let someone else
respond as to what the recommended method is (you probably don't need to
correlate each file by itself, which would use up lots of disk space).

Tim