On Oct 26, 2014, at 9:21 AM, Glasser, Matthew
<glass...@wusm.wustl.edu<mailto:glass...@wusm.wustl.edu>> wrote:

That note in the pipeline example code was put there because I donąt know
how to tell what readout direction was used from the DICOMs and z seems to
be the Siemens default.  If someone else does, I’d be interested in what
field(s) they used.

It may take some deductive work. Mike Harms once figured out the phase encoding
direction from the DICOM header. We just need to find the corresponding code of
slice direction in the DICOM header. The one left is the readout direction.
However, to be completely sure about the sign would be tough or might be
impossible from the DICOM header alone.

Gordon, I’d be a bit surprised here if the shim mattered given how small
the correction is already and the fact that the bulk of the correction is
likely to be the same from one shim to another.

I agree that the bulk of the correction is not likely to change between
re-shims. However, I assume the main reason to do readout distortion correction
is for regions close to sinuses, where local fields could vary substantially
between re-shims with global (whole brain) optimization.

 I don’t think it’s likely
to be made worse by reshiming, just won’t be quite as precise of a
correction.

I agree that no matter what it is a “small” effect. However I don’t completely
agree it can’t be made worse by a wrong fieldmap due to re-shimming. I think we
can do an experiment of: Fieldmap - Structural - re-shim - wrong Fieldmap, to
evaluate.

Gordon

Peace,

Matt.