As further information, the example in that directory is very out of date,
as CiftiXMLReader is an older implementation (which doesn't support
cifti-2) that we haven't entirely replaced yet.  Take a look at CiftiFile
instead for a more convenient interface that does support cifti-2.  You can
also look at the examples in CiftiLib (
https://github.com/Washington-University/CiftiLib), as it was made from
workbench's cifti-2 implementation.  I should transplant the examples back
into workbench.

If you want to have all our classes available when starting a new gui from
scratch, probably the easiest way to do it is to make a copy of the
"Desktop" folder, replace or modify the source file, make one or more new
folders for the supporting classes, and modify the CMakeLists.txt files to
match.  This will build a third executable in the same way wb_comand and
wb_view are built.

If you don't want to carry the entire workbench codebase along or separate
out the parts you need, you should know that CiftiLib does not include
support for our other file types, for instance gifti, which are needed to
read files that are important for visualization.  It does include a nifti
reader that you can build a volume file implementation around, and there is
a c library for gifti available: http://www.nitrc.org/frs/?group_id=75 .

Tim