From: Craig Anthony Moodie <cmoo...@stanford.edu>
Date: Tuesday, November 10, 2015 11:13 PM
To: "hcp-users@humanconnectome.org" <hcp-users@humanconnectome.org>
Subject: [HCP-Users] Clarifying the use of "scout" in the preprocessing scripts

Hello,

I'm trying to implement a variant of the HCP style preprocessing using Nipype and I wanted to make sure I'm following the right steps.

From reading the scripts, the preprocessing paper, and the responses I could find on the mailing list it seems like you sometimes refer to the SBRef (or some mean/median volume) as the "scout" in the scripts. For instance, this seems to be the case for the TopupPreprocessingAll.sh script. However, for the distortion correction and fmri volume processing scripts, the scout is labelled as a pre-sat EPI input. Hence, I wanted to confirm that this input image is one of the gradient echo EPI scans from the reversed PE pair (e.g. one of a reversed PE pair of resting-state scans). In addition, it seems like the TopupPreprocessingAll.sh script is set up to use a pair of full, reversed-PE, SE EPI functional scans, but you are using the pair of SE fieldmaps instead when applying the ${SPIN_ECHO_METHOD_OPT} in the DistortionCorrectionAndEPIToT1wReg_FLIRTBBRAndFreeSurferBBRbased.sh script.

Are these interpretations correct? And if so, would one run the GenericfMRIVolumeProcessingPipeline.sh script separately for each of a pair of PE reversed resting scans, or is there a way that both scans get processed at the same time that I missed.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Best,

Craig.

--