From: Stephen Smith <st...@fmrib.ox.ac.uk>
Date: Wednesday, November 25, 2015 11:34 AM
To: "Harms, Michael" <mha...@wustl.edu>
Cc: Timothy Coalson <tsc...@mst.edu>, Greg Burgess <gcburg...@gmail.com>, "Elam, Jennifer" <e...@wustl.edu>, "hcp-users@humanconnectome.org" <hcp-users@humanconnectome.org>
Subject: Re: [HCP-Users] Phase Encoding left-to-right and right-to-left

Hi Michael - for raw covariances - summing covariances is equivalent to temp concat first.
Cheers

On 25 Nov 2015, at 17:29, Harms, Michael <mha...@wustl.edu> wrote:

To Steve's point and the issue of memory:  A critical distinction is whether you are intending to work with dense connectomes or parcellated connectomes.  In the context of parcellated connectomes, both Steve and myself have found a small advantage in reproducibility if you compute a parcellated "netmat" for each resting state run, convert those using r-to-z, and then average those across the 4 resting state runs for a subject (if you want as output a single parcellated netmat per subject).  In fact, that is how the netmats that are distributed as part of the "PTN" from ConnectomeDB were themselves created.

In the context of dense connectomes, generating a dense connectome per run is a different sort of beast.  You can do it (I've done it) using -cifti-correlation and then average with -cifti-average. But to my knowledge, no one has looked at whether there is a small reproducibility advantage to that approach as well with dense connectomes, which is why I think that most subject specific dense connectomes have probably been created via the 'concat' approach outlined on the wiki.

cheers,
-MH

--
Michael Harms, Ph.D.
Conte Center for the Neuroscience of Mental Disorders