When displaying them in the GUI, select the "border" input mode, select
"edit" in the added toolbar, make sure "properties" is depressed, then
click on a border, then you get a popup where you can edit border colors.
Then, save the file from the GUI and it will have those colors.

There is currently no command to set border colors, but the
-label-to-border command will use the label color as the output border
color.  Unfortunately it looks like -border-merge may not currently
preserve colors (there can be conflicts between files that I'd need to
figure out what to do with).

Tim