Consider this command:

http://www.humanconnectome.org/software/workbench-command.php?function=-surface-closest-vertex

You can draw ROIs around the identified vertices on the surface with this
command:

http://www.humanconnectome.org/software/workbench-command.php?function=-surface-geodesic-rois

You could then use -metric-reduce to make them into a single column, and
then either use different palettes or palette settings on the right and
left to color them differently, or turn them into label files to set their
colors directly.

Subcortical points are more difficult, but you can use the "volume" mode in
wb_view to edit voxels in a new volume file.  You can then use
-volume-dilate to make them more sphere-like, then display them with the
surfaces and metrics in "all" view, press the wrench icon for the volume,
layer tab, "draw voxels as cubes (3D)" to see them all at once.

There is also an older file format for foci, used in caret5, which is still
supported for display, but we don't have many commands for that file type
in workbench, so it may be more involved to get it to work.  It displays
the foci as spheres by default, so it would likely look better than the
above method.  I'm not sure how it deals with subcortical foci.

Tim