From: Timothy Brown <tbbr...@wustl.edu>
Date: Tuesday, December 15, 2015 10:31 AM
To: Matthew George Liptrot <matthew.lipt...@di.ku.dk>, HCP Listserv <hcp-users@humanconnectome.org>
Subject: Re: [HCP-Users] Verifying HCP data versions

Hi Matthew,

Re: Your question 1) below about detected which release data is part of

I can't really speak to differentiating between Q1 vs. Q2 vs Q3 data, but I can think of a technique that should work and be scriptable for detecting whether a subject's data is from the 500subjects release or the 900subjects release. The technique would be based on the contents of at least 1 release notes file for the subject.

If you have downloaded the structurally preprocessed data package for a subject (e.g. 100307_3T_Structural_preproc.zip) and unzipped that package, then you should have a sub-directory below the directory at which you did the unzipping named 100307 and a sub-directory below that named release-notes. In the 100307/release-notes sub-directory, you should find a file named Structural_preproc.txt (the release notes for the Structural_preproc package).

I think it might be slightly problematic to count on the modification date of that release notes file as an indication of whether the data is part of the 500subjects release or 900subjects release. In my opinion it is too easy for that file modification date to be inadvertently changed or updated. (The tool used to unzip the package may not preserve modification dates; someone might accidentally touch the file and thus change it's modification date; someone may edit the file intending to simply look at it, accidentally add a space, and save the result.)  I think it would be more reliable to differentiate between the 500subjects release and the 900subjects release based on the contents of the release notes file. (I'm supposing that people are unlikely to purposely change the contents of these files and wouldn't be likely to accidentally change the date written in the file or substantially change the contents.)

For the 500subjects release, the first few lines of the release notes file should look something like the following (without the line numbers):
  1. 100307_3T_Structural_preproc.zip
  2.
  3. Sat Mar 29 13:21:24 CDT 2014
  4. Structural Pipeline v3.1
  5. Execution 1
  6.
  7. These data were generated and made available by the Human Connectome Project, ...
For the 900subjects release, the first few lines of the release notes file should look something like the following (without the line numbers):
  1. 100307_3T_Structural_preproc.zip
  2.
  3. Mon Nov 30 23:44:34 CST 2015
  4.
  5. These data were generated and made available by the Human Connectome Project,
Since all the Structural Preproc packages for the 900subjects release were finalized after 31 Oct 2015, you could read in the 3rd line of the release notes file, parse the date, and check to see if the date is before or after 31 Oct 2015.  If it is before 31 Oct 2015, then the data is from the 500subjects release.  If it's after 31 Oct 2015, then the data is from the 900subjects release.

If parsing and comparing the dates is cumbersome, you could also simply look at the contents of line 4 in the release notes file. If it starts with "Structural Pipeline" then you're working with 500subjects data. If it is a blank line, then you're working with 900subjects data. (In the 900subjects form of the release notes, the pipeline version numbers come at the end of the release notes file instead of right after the date.)

If you don't have the structurally preprocessed data for a subject, you could probably extrapolate this technique to use the release notes file for the package(s) you do have.

Off hand, I don't know what the release notes files look like for Q1, Q2, and Q3, but if you have some of that data, you might be able to extend this method to differentiate between those releases by examining the contents of those release notes files.

I realize that this isn't a particularly elegant mechanism. Maybe someone else can think of a quicker or more elegant solution (maybe simply based on the presence or absence of a particular file generated by the pipelines.)

The above technique should allow you to differentiate between releases, but as for your question 2), detecting the version of the image reconstruction algorithm applied, I don't have a good answer for that.

Hope this is at least somewhat helpful,

  Tim