Hi Matthew,

Thanks a lot for your response, I think I am understanding this a bit more.
I am currently using an algorithm coming from fluid mechanics called
Dynamic Mode Decomposition (
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0165027015003829). The
algorithm decomposes the dtseries into a sum of spatially oscillating
modes. When I use the data from MSMAll_hp2000_clean.dtseries.nii, the
algorithm is not able to decompose the signal. However, the pilot data (and
only the pilot data, not the ica, normalized, or the raw) seems to
decompose and I get spatial modes that are similar to functional
connectivity networks seen in previous literature, as well as a
distribution of frequencies that seem to be biological plausible. I think
most of this is due to DMD being very sensitive, and if its off (which I am
not quite sure how to define/characterize) the algorithm just gives me
junk.

Now, I am assuming (maybe incorrectly) that the middle paragraph in your
last response, is what you used to process the pilot data. The mean
centering and the normalization makes sense to me, but I am a bit confused
on what "multiplying the bias field back into the data" refers to. I am
confused what the bias field is (experimentally). Dividing by the
variance definitely throws in a lot of noise (due to the fact that
neighboring voxels probably should have similar std but since we have only
limited data they are not).

But I think, I would like to process the raw data (
MSMAll_hp2000_clean.dtseries.nii) with this method and see if my algorithm
can decompose it.  Thanks a lot for your help,

Cheers
Amrit