I think there are two problems, either of which could certainly cause large
differences in the outputs.

> # format movement parameters (manually corrected header after paste step, not
> shown)
> Text2Vest Movement_Regressors.txt Movement_Regressors.mat
> Text2Vest Movement_Regressors.txt Movement_Regressors_dt.mat
> paste Movement_Regressors.mat Movement_Regressors_dt.mat >
> Movement_Regressors_all.mat

It appears that you can’t rely entirely on fix_3_clean to understand what has
happened to HCP FIX :-)  The processing you’re doing to the Movement_Regressors
differs from “functionmotionconfounds.m”, and appears incorrect to me.

FIX creates 24 motion regressors to remove from the data. Those 24 regressors
are a) the parameters from the motion correction (6 regressors), b) backward
derivative of those parameters (6 regressors), c) the square of the parameters
and backward derivatives (12 regressors).

The Movement_Regressors_all.mat that you've created will not contain those
regressors. The Movement_Regressors.txt and Movement_Regressors_dt.txt
effectively contain the same information, except the "dt" file is detrended and
(I believe) demeaned. However, I never use it because it's using a simple
linear detrend. You want to detrend the regressors with the 2000s high pass
filter. This is also done somewhere in the code, to provide a file called
"mc/prefiltered_func_data_mcf_conf_hp", but I can’t find where that occurs at
this moment.

> # regress unique variance from bad components (taken from .fix file) out of
> timeseries
>

> fsl_regfilt -i REST1LR_bp_mc.nii.gz -d melodic_mix_mc -o
> REST1LR_bp_mc_softICA -f "1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15,
> 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 36,
> 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 61,
> 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 81, 82, 83, 84”

> # compare against HCP's released FIX-denoised file
>
> fslmaths rfMRI_REST1_LR_hp2000_clean -sub REST1LR_bp_mc_softICA
> diff_REST1LR_bp_mc_softICA

This doesn’t seem to do what you claim. I believe this is regressing ALL of the
variance in the noise ICs, hence it is an aggressive regression. To do the soft
regression, you need to remove from the noise variance all of the variance in
the motion parameters AND the variance in the signal components. That yields
the “unique variance” to regress from the timeseries data. I don’t believe you
are doing that here, therefore, these will not be consistent with the HCP FIX
pipeline.

> Does the above denoising scheme seem consistent with what FIX is doing? I
> plan to use FIX going forward, rather than trying to replicate it using the
> FSL command-line, but I'd like to understand any discrepancies between the
> two.

Hopefully this is been a useful pedagogical exercise! The FIX scripts run in
octave and matlab, so there shouldn’t be reason to ‘rewrite’ the FIX code in
fsl commands once you feel that you understand the code.

--Greg

Greg Burgess, Ph.D.
Staff Scientist, Human Connectome Project
Department of Psychiatry
Phone: 314-362-7864
Email: gburg...@wustl.edu