Dear Sang-Young,

I would suggest that you replace the cp --preserve=timestamps commands in the scripts that are causing the problems with cp -p commands.

Until March 2016, those scripts used cp -p with the specific intent of preserving timestamps on the files that were copied. In the environment we currently use to run pipelines here at Washington University in St. Louis, the cp -p command was failing. The cp -p command is equivalent to cp --preserve=mode,ownership,timestamps. In our environment, it was not possible to preserve the ownership of files when doing those copies. Thus the cp -p command was failing.

Since the actual intent of the command was only to preserve the timestamps and preserving the other items (mode and ownership) was not particularly important, the commands were changed to cp --preserve=timestamps (asking only to preserve what is necessary).

We have since learned that for at least some versions of Mac OSX, the --preserve= option is not supported for the cp command. However, the -p option seems to still be supported in Mac OSX.

The situation now is that changing the command back to cp -p will not work for us, and leaving it as cp --preserve=timestamps will not work for people using some versions of Mac OSX.

It is my understanding that using Gnu CoreUtils on Mac OSX makes the --preserve= option to the cp command available under Mac OSX. But I have no experience with that, so I'm not in a position to recommend it.

I'm sorry for your frustration in dealing with this issue. Thank you for asking this on the list. Hopefully, this reply will prevent some others from experiencing the same frustration.

  Tim