Hi Jingwei,

It looks like the 15 and 14.96 scores for Mars_Final (Contrast sensitivity)
were brought over from the raw data for that measure that we get from the UPenn
Computerized Behavioral Battery. Likely there was some strange answer entered
by the subject that led to these outliers, but we can't know what happened
definitively. I would exclude these 2 subjects from your analysis on that
measure.

We try to define the codes for "unknown" in the HCP Data Dictionary for
measures where "unknown" is a valid answer that a subject gave (e.g.
"Correction" for Eyeglass correction, if subject didn't know their

eyeglass lens correction in diopters, they answer 999 for unknown). Missing
data for a subject is generally just left blank in the spreadsheet. We can
check our raw data in particular cases to verify, but in most cases where the
data is missing the data was never collected (because the subject refused, or
skipped an item or test, left the study visit early, etc.).

Many of the tests were self-administered so subjects may score lower because
they chose to not complete the test. For example, there are 4 such subjects
with 0 scores for the SCPT_SEN (Short Penn Continuous Performance Test
Sensitivity) which is due to 0 true positive answers on the test. The
abnormally low score for that measure could indicate that these subjects
decided not to complete the test.

I would suggest that if you see far outliers, you are welcome to ask us
directly about them, but be prepared to take outlier subjects out of your
analysis for the particular measure.

Best,

Jenn

Jennifer Elam, Ph.D.
Scientific Outreach, Human Connectome Project
Department of Neuroscience, Box 8108
660 South Euclid Avenue
St. Louis, MO 63110
314-362-9387<tel:314-362-9387>