Hi - no, in my experience running the post-hoc correction should look virtually
identical to the on-scanner correction.

Note that this will not be the case for 2D (eg EPI) data because on-scanner can
only be done 2D - so that won't match post-hoc 3D correction.

Cheers.

> On 11 Apr 2018, at 17:51, Kristian Loewe <k...@kristianloewe.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Michael,
>
> Thanks for the suggestion! By default, we are using the 3D correction on
> the scanner. But I applied the 2D correction to the ND data set
> separately to see what it looks like. The result is different from both
> the 3D-scanner-correction and the offline-correction but looks
> reasonable too.
>
> Is it the case that for HCP data the scanner-corrected images look
> almost exactly the same as the offline-corrected images or is it
> ok/normal for them to differ a bit, especially further away from the
> isocenter?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Kristian
>

> On 11.04.2018 15:42, Harms, Michael wrote:
>>
>> One thought: Are you sure you are using the “3D” (and not the “2D”)
>> correction on the scanner?
>>
>> --
>> Michael Harms, Ph.D.

>> Associate Professor of Psychiatry
>>
>> Washington University School of Medicine
>>
>> Department of Psychiatry, Box 8134
>>
>> 660 South Euclid Ave.                        Tel: 314-747-6173
>>
>> St. Louis, MO  63110                          Email: mha...@wustl.edu
>>
>> On 4/11/18, 8:31 AM, "hcp-users-boun...@humanconnectome.org on behalf of
>> Kristian Loewe" <hcp-users-boun...@humanconnectome.org on behalf of
>> k...@kristianloewe.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Joo-won and Keith,
>>
>> I don't think that the table has been moved. Is there any information
>> somewhere in the dicom header to double-check this?
>>
>> I am using the coeff_AS82.grad file for the Prisma data (the second
>> command). The first command was what I used for the Verio data. Also,
>> I double-checked that I am using the uncorrected volume as input.
>>
>> I am not sure if I am supposed/allowed to send screenshots of the
>> actual data in the subject's native space to the list. I'm going to
>> check that. Meanwhile, I asked our local MR team to acquire an
>> additional data set using a phantom. The difference between the
>> scanner-corrected image and the offline-corrected image is not as
>> striking in this case but it's visible. Based on the phantom data, I
>> am inclined to say that both corrections work reasonably well, even
>> though they are not exactly the same. I also tried the
>> offline-correction on some phantom EPI data and it seems to work well
>> as it (together with EPI distortion correction) restores the original
>> shape of the phantom pretty nicely.
>>
>> The differences between the correction variants applied to the
>> subject's data are actually rather small inside the brain but become
>> larger towards the neck, which is to be expected as the distance to
>> the magnetic isocenter becomes greater in that direction.
>> Nevertheless, I orginally thought that the differences between
>> scanner- and offline-corrected images would be smaller than that.
>>
>> Find attached some plots of the T1 phantom data:
>>
>> T1_ND*.png     - uncorrected images
> [...]

Head of Analysis,  Oxford University FMRIB Centre

+44 (0) 1865 222726  (fax 222717)
st...@fmrib.ox.ac.uk    http://www.fmrib.ox.ac.uk/~steve
<http://www.fmrib.ox.ac.uk/~steve>

Stop the cultural destruction of Tibet <http://smithinks.net/>