On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 2:40 PM, Gerd Heber <ghe...@hdfgroup.org> wrote:

> C is binary compatible, no problem there. C++ is another matter.****
>
> I don’t know much about the different FORTRAN flavors. Good luck! G. ****
>
> **

C is binary compatible in a sense that there is no name mangling, but
different compilers may need different C runtimes, specially if there is
memory allocation/deallocation across the libraries it will be a disaster.
With C++ one may have to also worry about exception handling.
The approach I take with 3rd party libraries that I have no control over is
to try it, and look at the symbols and runtimes it links against, if there
are no incompatible runtimes or incompatibilities do not show up, it is
most likely safe.