actually for #2 below the HDF5 devs _could_ do this but it might be fairly
Tedious to do it. The first line of the very top level CMakeLists.txt file
should have a line like:

project(HDF5)

It would have to be constantly updated to
project(HDF5-1.8.10.pre.foo.1.whatever) and I am not sure what that really buys
the developer?

Typically I have several versions of HDF5 being compiled but I have them all in
separate folders in my workspace. I guess from a "Recent Files" point of view
from within Visual Studio all those show up as "HDF5.sln" which may not be big
help.

 There are also other IDEs and environments that depend on having a "stable"
project name. Imagine the following:

I have using the latest Git version of HDF5. I checkout out the code and
generate my solutions. Then HDF5 devs increment the version number for the
"project()" command. If I am NOT recognizing that this is going on I am going
to end up using an out of date solution file because the next time CMake runs
it will generate a whole NEW solution file with the new version number but I'll
still be using the older solution which would cause all sorts of problems.

 So it is best to just leave it the way it is.

Thanks
Mike Jackson                    Principal Software Engineer
BlueQuartz Software                            Dayton, Ohio
mike.jack...@bluequartz.net              www.bluequartz.net