Hi,
I am trying to write a ~24GB large array of floats to a file with PHDF5. I am running on a Lustre PFS, with IB networking. I am running the software on 128 processes, spread amongst 16 nodes of 8 cores each. The MPI implementation is OpenMPI 1.6.3, and HDF5 is 1.8.10.

Each process is writing one regular hyperslab with a various offset. Not every process has a hyperslab of the same size, but they are close in size. Each process should therefore be writing around 192MB of data.

For some reason, it seems that if I set
H5Pset_dxpl_mpio(plist_id, H5FD_MPIO_COLLECTIVE);

only the master node writes anything into the resulting file (and it takes ~10 minutes to write it).

If instead I set
H5Pset_dxpl_mpio(plist_id, H5FD_MPIO_INDEPENDENT);

all nodes write data, and it takes ~4-5 minutes to write the whole file.

I am expecting two things that I don't see happening :
1) With Collective IOs, I would expect all ranks to write.
2) With our lustre filesystem, I would expect way more than 100MB/s for such collective IOs (at least around 1GB/s).

Any tips on what might be going one ?

Thanks,

--
Maxime Boissonneault